Flashing boxes coming up of QuickBooks error 6189 816? My company file won’t open? Multi-user mode doesn’t work? The QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 are linked to all of these problems.
The issue is not complicated, but it is important to obtain proper guidance to clear the errors out from the system. Let us help you with that.
You will learn everything about QuickBooks Error 6189 816 in this article. Follow us. We will definitely provide you with the easiest & detailed solutions to your problems. Let’s begin.
What is QuickBooks Error 6189 816?
Error 6189 and 816 are file errors in Quickbooks that permanently stop your work. This error can occur when you attempt to open the company file with a multi-user network device.
Furthermore, it is a runtime error that prevents access to your company file. QuickBooks will display an error message that reads: An error occurred when trying to access the company file (-6189, -816).
Having learned the basics of this error, we will discuss its causes.
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6189 816
There are several reasons behind error 6189 816.
- If you open a company file on the same server as another user, the error can appear.
- Junk, corrupted, and temporary QuickBooks files.
- Several QuickBooks components have been lost or incorrectly removed.
- Unclean and improper software installation.
- Registries in Windows do not contain the correct entries.
- The company file cannot be accessed without administrator access.
- Ransomware attacks, malware attacks, and virus attacks.
- Third-party programs such as anti-virus can cause this error.
- This error appears when there are exchange log records and Quickbooks organization documents.
- Currently, you’re working in the single-user mode.
- Using an old or pirated Windows operating system.
- Hosting issues with QuickBooks.
- There are no system drivers or they are damaged if they exist.
- Finally, if there is corruption in QuickBooks’ network data file.
Triggers to Identify Quickbooks Error 6189 and 816
Here are the triggers that will help you detect QuickBooks error 6189 early. Read on.
- The screen will flash with the text “Error 6189 816: Quickbooks Error Code 6189”.
- The company file cannot be accessed.
- Weak internet or a bad network connection is visible.
- There are times when Windows shuts down.
- The system is responding slowly to commands.
- There are many system crashes.
- There are no working mouse or input functions.
- Finally, if the system does not take any other commands.
Once you have identified the error, all you need to do is remove it, but how do we go about that? We will take the time to learn it right now. We have provided solutions to help you fix error 6189.
QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816: 11 Repairing Solutions
Solution 1: Network Data (ND) File & Transaction Log (TLG) File Rename
In multi-user mode, the Network Data (ND) and Transaction (TLG) files can assist in the work of the user. In this case, QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 can prevail on your system.
By scanning with Quickbooks Database Server Manager, the configuration files will be created. Moreover, renaming the file will fix this error.
After renaming the TLG and ND files, you can check for the error. You can learn how to rename the files here.
- First of all, you need to open the company file with issues.
- Next, locate the files company_file.qbw.nd & company_file.qbw.tlg.
- Then, right-click on the above company files and select the option Rename for the ND and TLG files rename.
- Finally, you should open QuickBooks again to verify that this error is still occurring.
Solution 2: Manually Remove Quickbooks Error Code -6189, -816
- As mentioned above, rename the Transaction Log file.
- Next, check the QBDataServiceUserXX permissions for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Then, check whether or not your company files are encrypted.
- Lastly, copy all the files to your desktop.
In order to fix the error 6189 manually, you must move the same file back to its default location if you are still unable to open it.
Solution 3: QuickBooks File Doctor
QBFD (QuickBooks File Doctor) is a QuickBooks repair tool for diagnosing many QBs errors including error 6189 816. Follow the instructions below to start using the tool.
- Start QuickBooks File Doctor first.
- You may now select the company file that contains errors or issues.
- Now, to run Quickbooks file doctor, select the green-colored button.
- With the scanning process, all errors will be detected automatically and rectified immediately.
- Finally, reopen QuickBooks in order to check if the error is still present.
Solution 4: Use the Sample Company File.
Using the sample company file, clear out the errors. Click here for step-by-step instructions.
- First, launch QuickBooks desktop on your computer.
- Then, select No Company and then select Open a Sample File.
- Now, select the Random company file option.
- Finally, the company files will now be automatically restored.
Solution 5: Quickbooks Refresher Tool
In Quickbooks, the Refresher Tool allows you to refresh all the running processes and close all applications in the background, which makes it easy to work with. Moreover, the QuickBooks Error 6189 and 816 can be easily fixed with this tool. Follow these steps to use the refresher tool.
- First, download the QuickBooks Refresher Tool.
- After downloading, you will receive QBRefresher.exe.
- Furthermore, you should check for other applications running in the background. Make sure all such programs are shut down.
- To access the installation wizard, double-tap the downloaded exe file.
- You need to accept the license agreement as per your screen’s instructions.
- Finally, click Finish.
- Open QBs Refresher and the tool will be ready for you to use.
- While using this software refresher tool, QuickBooks must be running.
Solution 6: Restart QBs and the system
Sometimes, restarting the PC and the server settings is necessary when encountering an error like this.
- First, reboot your computer server.
- In order to continue, you will need to restart QuickBooks.
- Finally, launch Quickbooks Desktop on the server.
- As soon as you have restarted the Quickbooks desktop on the system server, you need to open Quickbooks on each workstation server.
Solution 7: Quickbooks Desktop Update
Many issues and errors can be encountered when using the older version of the QuickBooks software. However, in this case, you simply need to update QuickBooks to the latest version. Follow the steps below.
- First, open QuickBooks.
- Select the Help tab on your screen from the top-right corner.
- After that, select Update Quickbooks.
- Additionally, a list of choices will appear now. Choose the latest version of QuickBooks.
- Now, you can now update your system by selecting Update Now.
- Finally, you must restart your PC after a few seconds.
Solution 8: Backup Files Create and Restore
Back up all the files from your previous PC. The backup file needs to be restored into your new system after the backup. Read below for more.
- In order to restore your files, you need to use an external device, like a flash drive or another device.
- Also, if you have a stable and good Internet connection, your PC can connect to the Internet.
Solution 9: Move Company Files to Drive C on the Local Computer
Basically, you use the copy-paste method to migrate the location of your company’s files to Drive C. Moreover, take note of some of the useful information provided here.
- If you are unable to remove the errors via the previous solutions or if your company file is located on a removable drive or online storage space, then this method should be taken.
- A company file migration is quite beneficial from time to time when your PC fails or when your system is being upgraded.
- Your files can be transferred to the hard drive of your system. Furthermore, online file hosting services such as Google Drive, Cloud, Dropbox, etc. can be used.
- In order to preserve company data files and folders, you should ignore the removable drivers since they will not be compatible with Quickbooks.
- A hard drive encrypted with company files should be avoided since it puts a restriction on the multi-user network connection in QuickBooks desktop software.
Solution 10: Quickbooks Tool Hub
With the Quickbooks Hub Tool, users can solve most of their issues with Quickbooks. Often referred to as the QuickBooks repair tool. Moreover, to fix Quickbooks Error Code -6189 -816, you need to follow these steps.
Step 1: QBs Tool Hub Install
- First, close any running applications.
- Look for the QuickBooks Hub Tool download on the Intuit website.
- You will receive an installation wizard after clicking on the exe file.
- To move forward, follow the instructions and terms and conditions on the window.
- Finally, tap Finish.
- Go to the installed hub tool and open it.
Step 2: QBs Hub Tool Use
- The Quickbooks hub opens with a home dashboard.
- Click on the Program Problems tab.
- Choose Quick Fix my Program from this tab.
- Within a few moments, it will start the repair process.
- Finally, you can access your company file without any errors.
Solution 11: Quickbooks Database Server Manager
Using Quickbooks Database Server Manager, you can diagnose errors in company files on your server. This tool will detect any errors in the multi-user mode, and correct QuickBooks Error 6189 in no time. To use it, follow these steps.
- Launch Quickbooks Hub first.
- To access the Qbs Database Server Manager, click on the Qbs tools hub.
- Then, you need to choose the company file with errors from the Quickbooks Database Server Manager box.
- Next, select Start Scan.
- Once the scanning process is complete, you will find the Quickbooks Database Server Manager automatically identifies and fixes all firewall problems & permissions.
- Then, click Close.
- Access the QuickBooks Desktop software on the server workstation.
- Lastly, check for any errors.
This post is an informative guide for all the users looking to clear out QuickBooks Error 6189 816 from the system. With all the detailed solutions, we hope you will be able to troubleshoot this 6000 series error easily.
We are confident that you can follow our solutions with ease and be a pro in fixing any such QBs errors.